The Green Collar Jobs Committee developed from the Good Jobs Working Group, whose work identified a growing concern among membership about bringing that combined fair pair and good working conditions with environmentally sustainable practices jobs to their communities.
Joining the GCJC, you gives you the opportunity to work on bringing green-collar jobs (family-supporting jobs with workers’ rights, that strengthen communities and provide pathways out of poverty and an equitable, sustainable clean energy economy) to urban and rural Tennessee communities. You will help to build a sustainable economy in Tennessee by lobbying your representatives, mounting cross-state educational campaigns, and providing training to your communities.
The Green Collar Jobs Committee is currently working on a number of issues including:
- Connecting communities located around retiring coal-fired power plants with federal grants to assist in economic transition
- Researching the Abandoned Mine Land Fund to determine how communities dealing with environmental and safety hazards from old strip mines and heal their land
- Tracking TVA’s Integrated Resource Plan, which will determine the future energy profile for the entire TVA region.
- Planning our next statewide Green Collar Jobs tour
- We also send at least one member to attend the yearly Good Jobs Green Jobs Conference in Washington, DC.
If you would like to get involved, make sure you’re a member of SOCM and contact organizer Adam Hughes at 865-249-7488 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.